Yes, I'll agree, there's nothing quite like the taste of deep fried french fries (chips in my part of the world) but I'm sure you know, fried foods are quite unhealthy for everyone, not just those trying to loose weight. A diet of fried foods could eventually take it's toll on your children's health as well. No guilt trips here, just a really easy recipe that your family will love. (And don't tell them it's healthy, just tell them it's a new french fries recipe from Israel that you just discovered!)
This was supposed to be the after photo for the top casserole, but they got eaten so quickly, that the after photo is infact a picture of the second batch that I had to make to feed those who missed out on the first (namely my husband and thosechildren who pretended to still be hungry).
This is a real "after" photo, and I must say, they're looking pretty tasty! Do you think something like this would hang around for long at your house?
6 peeled, washed and dried potatoes
home-made cooking spray (previous post)
1 tsp salt
a casserole dish or oven tray
The quantities here are not exact, given the varied sizes of potatoes. Use your judgement depending on your family's love for or dislike of, spicy food! You can omit the spices all together if you have doubts.
Average people will eat at least 2 potatoes per person as a side dish, and don't worry if it looks like a lot,the quantity shrinks considerably in the baking process.
- Turn oven on to grill, if you don't have a grill option, preheat oven to 400F (200C)
- Slice potatoes into french-fry style sticks. Try to maintain a uniform thickness, and pieces on the thick side will be better than on the too thin side.
- Spray casserole or oven tray with oil spray
- Place potatoes in casserole, spray with oil and mix to distribute oil evenly
- In a separate bowl mix together paprika, cumin and salt. Pour over potatoes and mix toevenly coat the potatoes. If the spices are barely visible, add a bit more.
- Place casserole on highest rack just under the grill. Stir often as soon as potatoes begin to brown.
- Don't forget about them, they burn quickly! (The whole cooking time is about 20 minutes, longer if baked)
- Remove from oven, let cool before giving to small children, and watch them disappear!
- If you don't feel like making the cooking spray, so use regular oil, about 2 tblsp for a casserole.
- Other recipes recommend placing fries in one layer, but you don't have to as long as you stir them often.
- Try using hot paprika for lovers of spicy hot foods.
- For a complete meal combine mostly cooked fries with chopped tomatoes, olives and yellow cheese. Return to oven until cheese is melted.