Here's a great recycling crafts project to help you stay organized this school year, as well as containing that not-so-attractive clutter that seems to always gravitate to desks and work tables! Make a whole set using the heavy duty plastic bottles from fabric softener, floor cleaner, bulk liquid hand soap etc. and maintaining neat homework and craft areas will be easier than ever!
- Heavy duty recycled plastic bottle (floor cleaner, fabric softener etc.)
- Glue: polyvinyl (devek plasti) woodworkers glue works well
- Sharp scissors and/or heavy craft knife
- Clothes pins or metal bulldog clips
- Cut bottles where desired to remove top and/or handle portion, creating a nicely shaped container
- Wash and dry container well.
- Cut a piece of fabric large enough to basically wrap the sides and base of the container. To measure, place container on piece of fabric and bring fabric up around sides of container to estimate.
- Coat entire outside of container with glue (including base) and carefully pull fabric upthe sides of the container, while smoothing wrinkles.
- Make a few tucks at corners if necessary, such that fabric lies flat on container at sides.
- Secure fabric to top edge of container with clothespins or bulldog clips and set aside to dry
- Once dry trim off excess fabric, leaving several inches excess to glue to inside.
- Coat excess fabric with glue on the underside of fabric and adhere to inside of container
These containers also make great catchalls for nursery changing tables and to hold small baby things. So why not make a set as a great "green" baby gift!