Don't these pillows just make you happy? The best part is, this isn't one of those photos of something that has to stay in your dreams, you can make pillows almost exactly like these quickly and easily. And it's a fun project for older children and groups of friends to do over the Winter break as well!
While I explained how to make the pillow on the left yesterday, today we're going to learn how to make the bow-tie pillow on the right. Interestingly enough it's the much quicker method of the two, though it's aesthetic is, in my eyes, much more sophisticated. It's construction consists of two separate pieces of fleece which wrap the pillow in opposite directions and are secured with ties in the center. I thought of this while I was dozing off to sleep one night, but it took me a few minutes to actually figure out how to bring this simple idea into reality.
This photo is of the same pillow, opposite sides. What's interesting to note is the difference in the look of the pillow based on how tightly the knots we're tied. If you like the look of the pillow on the left, make sure to measure on the large side, and if you prefer the look on the right, so make your pieces a bit smaller.
- pillows or pillow forms in the desired shape and size
- fleece: 2 pieces in complementary colors
- masking tape
- a tapemeasure
- good scissors
- Measure circumference and height of pillow. Add 10cm (4 inches) to the circumference measurement, and cut two pieces of fleece with a width equaling (circumference + 10cm) and height as measured. (If pillow is square, the two pieces will be equal size, if the pillow you want to use is not square, so turn it 90degrees to measure the circumference and height for the second piece.)
- Place masking tape along height of fleece at both edges, 5cm from the edge, and mark off on tape even intervals of roughly 1.5cm (2/3") or a bit wider.
- Cut fringe according to tape placement and markings on tape.
- Prepare both pieces of fleece.
- Lay one piece of fleece on table, running side to side, and place pillow on top of fleece
- Lay second piece of fleece on top of pillow, running top to bottom
- Wrap the two sides of the bottom piece up and around the pillow and tie fringe at center of pillow.
- Turn pillow over and tie second set of fringe on that side.
- You're done, that sure was quick right?