Wondering how to package those holiday treats you'd like to give as gifts? Why not recycle cans (and even boxes or bottles) and transform them into containers that will be enjoyed long after the treats are gone? Your gift will be that much more appreciated, and everyone can surely use an extra container or two around holiday time.
All you need is some recycled cans from the kitchen, preferably with non-ribbed sides, and some shiny contact paper in a few colors. The cans I've used here are from instant oatmeal, and I've included the plastic top (seen at the base of each can) so that the containers can be used in a number of ways.
- a can, a box or any strong container, even a clean milk carton or plastic bottle (with the top portion removed) could work nicely
- shiny contact paper in a few colors
- cellophane or tissue paper
- Choose a base color, and cut a piece that will cover the container, both in height and width.
- Apply designs and stripes of other colors on top of this base color
- Wrap your treat in cellophane, insert into container and tie with a ribbon!