Here's a Hanukkah craft that's also a Hanukkah game! Spinning tops are a traditional Hanukkah toy, so what better activity to engage the kids this Hanukkah than with a simple technique for making their own brigade of spinning tops? Honestly, I think this is one of my best ideas ever, because these tops spin so amazingly well, it's almost hard to believe!
- plastic bottle caps: either from regular soda bottles, wide mouthed juice bottles, or bottles like vinegar bottles
- toothpicks or wooden skewers
- a thick needle or sharp item, such as a hat pin or those metal things you use to hold poultry together for roasting (employed by an adult only)
- colorful electrical tape (optional)
- quick drying glue (optional
- Make a hole exactly in the middle of the bottle cap. Some caps have a small bump there, if not eyeball it. A hole not in the center will result in a imbalanced top.
- Enlarge hole if necessary by moving needle around while still in the hole.
- Insert tooth pick or skewer through hole, trim second side of toothpick (dangerous) or shorten skewer.
- Secure toothpick with a few dabs of glue, though usually not necessary, and decorate with small pieces of electric tape.
- Have fun!