Recycle those plastic containers that often hold sprouts or other fruits and vegetables, and make adorable gift boxes in just a few steps! I came up with this idea because we've been eating lots of sprouts lately, including soy bean sprouts (among others) that come in plastic containers like these. And of course I just couldn't throw them out! At the least I thought my kids could use them for making mishloach manot for their friends, but then this fun idea came along, and now I can't wait to make some more! And of course you could use this same idea to make a container from any two plastic boxes, no matter what the dimensions. And if your boxes are clear, so wrap your gifts or treats in some colorful tissue paper that compliments the colors of felt you've chosen. And you could make yours look a little bit more treasure chest like, and get some pirates to deliver them for you on Purim! And if you like my cute painted fruit, you can learn more about them here.
- recycled plastic produce containers, or even a shoe box could be great too!
- fabric puff paint, in two colors to compliment the felt colors you'll use
- velcro strips or dots
- freezer paper (for making multiples)
- a hot glue gun
- Cut felt "straps" to the width and length necessary for the size of your box
- Hot glue straps to box such that box opens hinge style according to photo above
- Now design your buckle, taking into consideration the width of the strap, and hot glue it to your strap. Note: I just discovered another great use for freezer paper! Draw your buckle on the computer, fill a whole page with them (to make multiple treasure chests) and print directly onto the freezer paper by running a sheet through your printer! (make sure waxed side is the side that won't be printed on) Then simply iron freezer paper to your felt and cut out your buckles. So easy with great results!
- Add details with fabric puff paint. This can also be done before you attach your felt to the box, and would be a good idea if you're making multiples, since it's preferable for the paint to dry in a flat position. Set aside to dry, overnight is recommended, and keep away from little hands as this point!
- Design a luggage tag (for your greeting) to attach to the handle, or a little pirates map would be great too!
- Fill with something fun and make your friends happy!