Hip hip hooray, after many many attempts, I've finally managed to crochet a pair of baby booties that were cute enough to actually give as a gift! I don't know why it's been such a challenge, but I think it mostly has to do with not using the appropriate yarn and hook size, and also wanting something that looks cute just sitting there, which many booties do not, or at least the ones I've tried!
I had some chunky yarn on hand, which I had used to make this baby sweater and this ear flap baby hat, so I wanted to use the same yarn to make some booties. I had the idea to google chunky baby booties, and whaddya know, I found a pattern!
Of course, I did make a few changes in the pattern just for fun, which you might like to take note of below.
- two colors of chunky yarn, namely 100g to 100m
- size I, 5.5o mm hook
- pattern found here
Crochet according to instructions, and incorporate following changes to make booties that look like mine:
- Change to color B on Round 4
- Crochet in back loop around on Round 4
- In Round 8, double crochet around (instead of sc) to make a place to weave in tie
- single crochet in row 12, rather than slip stitch.....I didn't do this on purpose, and will try just slip stitching around next time, as it makes a more solid finish
- Crochet a chain to make a tie, though use a smaller hook, in my case, 5mm. Weave in tie on round 8.
I would recommend that you make sure know difference between dc2tog and hdc2tog before starting to crochet, I didn't really, and ended up having to re-crochet most of the first bootie having realized I didn't know what I was doing on the second one!
Happy crocheting! You can make a ton of these little booties in the blink of an eye. Well, at least after you've given it a try with the first pair! I'm going to make another pair soon with an eye on the clock and I'll let you know.