There is no better way to display cupcakes than on a pedestal, and now you can whip one up yourself like this quick DIY Cupcake pedestal. I made this cupcake pedestal for the Jewish holiday of Tu B'Shevat coming up on Sunday night, (and using my printable fruit slices crafting pages) though I'm quite sure we'll be using this idea for many more special occasions to come.
And yes, I do realize that the proportions of my cupcake pedestal aren't exactly right, but I think that is what makes it such a great partner with the hand colored paper and cupcake toppers. I'm on a new campaign to run in the opposite direction from perfection, especially when there are kids around, and encourage creativity and imperfection! Of course there is a time and a place for a perfect looking dessert table, but most of the time the best idea is to let the kids get involved and make things that they will be proud of! Are you with me on that?
As you can see in the photos, to complete the look, why not make some fruit slice cupcake toppers and don't forget to make those cupcakes look really good with a cupcake wrapper! And I realized that one needn't go through all the trouble to cut an arced shape to go around the cupcake, just cut a strip of paper that is the right height and wrap it around the cupcake.....how is that for simple?
- 1 wide can, this is an oatmeal can
- 1 large dinner plate
- 1 colored page (this one is available here)
- matte tape or double stick tape
- adhesive, hot glue or silicone to adhere plate to can (though possibly not necessary if for adults only as with wide can plate is quite stable, you decide)
- Wrap can with colored page. If can is wide like this one, a letter or A4 sized page is not long enough, and you will have to add another piece to its length such that paper overlaps. Secure with double stick or matte invisible tape.
- For added stability adhere can to plate, either permanently or just for the party. One can use silicone or gorilla glue for a permanent situation, hot glue for a less permanent join, and double stick foam tape for something temporaryish.
- That is it, enjoy!
Oh and by the way, for a super simple and great looking centerpiece or dessert buffet, just make two of these pedestals and put a recycled can vase to match in the middle, and you've got a complete look!