Giant origami clowns are really quite simple to make and make amazing party decorations, not to mention that they make perfect Purim decorations! I used squares of wrapping paper to make origami clowns that are about 70 cm tall, and just a few of these clowns are enough to add a fun touch to any wall. Add some packing peanuts as buttons and collar, and some patterned paper for shoes, a pom pom and hat trim, and the results are simple adorable! The origami clown is folded initially just like an origami crane (hmmm, I need to try making those from wrapping paper too!) so lets get started! (And in any case I've got to run and make my daughter's Purim costume......)
- instructions for making an origami clown
- wrapping paper in solid colors
- colored card stock for head and hat, plus scraps of patterned paper for details
- packing peanuts or even bottle caps or any craft findings such as small pom poms or buttons
- hot glue gun
- Make a square from wrapping paper, and fold paper according to origami clown instructions.
- Cut a circle and triangle for the head and hat, and add details, attaching with hot glue.
- Attach packing peanuts with hot glue, they look great as buttons and collar.
- For smaller clowns, use scraps left over after making squares from roll of wrapping paper.
- To hang, adhere loop of string to back of clown with hot glue. For extra strength and neatness, press a small rectangle of cardboard over the hot glue and ends of string.
That is it!