Here my friends is a simple craft for fall, or anytime really, using the simplest of materials with fun results. One can of course use toilet paper tubes to make owls, but this time around I decided to use a paper towel tube to make tow paper towel tube owls! And that fun tree? I used a really thick aluminum foil tube, one of many I have yet to craft with! So there may just be a whole forest coming soon, sounds like so much fun to me, as I have been a bit craft deprived of late.
This craft is fun to make with younger kids or an idea to give to older kids who can do most of it on their own, and it would also be cute sitting on a shelf in a baby's room, don't you think? Let's get started!
- light weight cardboard tube, paper towel or toilet paper
- a long cardboard tube preferably on the heavier side, mine is from a roll of aluminum foil
- colored card stock
- a black marker
- hot glue or a stapler
- Cut paper towel tube in half to make two owls, or use a toilet paper tube to make one owl.
- Squeeze top of tube together and staple (if you don't mind seeing the staple) or affix with hot glue or high-tack glue secured until dry with a clothespin
- Draw your owl onto the front of the tube and on the back make a pattern of inverted small v's to indicate feathers. If you are not confident with your drawing skills, draw in pencil and go over the lines with a black marker.
- To make the cardboard tube tree, cut leaves from card stock, cut slits into the tube with a knife (adults only please!) and insert leaves into slits. Or glue tip of leaves directly onto tube and then fold them out, or make leaves that have a little tab at the bottom that can be glues to the tube. With these two safer options the heavier the paper the better in order to make large leaves. If you want a tree that is very sturdy, make a base for it from cereal box cardboard and blue the bottom of the tube to the base.
- That is it, now go make a forrest filled with friendly owls, hoooo hooooo!
If you want to make a totem pole owl, or simply want one of your owls to be sort of sitting in the tree, remove any top leaves and simply place owl over tube, simple as that! Enjoy!