I just love recycling crafts and especially recycling crafts with egg cartons! This simple star LED string lights craft is so simple and with such fantastic results you're gonna love it! Use your egg cartons as is for a natural look, or paint or decorate them, you decide! And the great thing about these lights is that while of course you can use them for chanukah, they'll look great any time of year.
Oh and just by the way, I used LED string lights that are battery operated so you can hang them just about anywhere, how fun is that? Okay, Lets get started!
- recycled cardboard egg cartons
- LED string lights (you could use regular ones, but don't leave them lit unattended as they heat up!)
- sharp scissors
1. Using sharp scissors, cut the cupped egg carton bottom lengthwise down the center, such that you have two single rows of egg carton cups. Then simply cut the cups apart.
2. You can choose to make string light shades that are either star shaped or flower shaped, or both, you decide! I have drawn the black lines on the egg carton cups to show you two possible shapes, you needn’t draw anything on your cups just eyeball it!
3. You can make stars (or flowers) that are larger or smaller, and use either one cup or two stacked ones. If you are stacking two cups to make an eight pointed star, secure the top cup to the bottom cup with some glue.
4. Using the end of a sharp pencil and pointing away from yourself, carefully make a small hole in the very center of your stars. From the bottom simply poke your LED bulbs through the hole, and that is it! If the hole is too big, you may want to secure the stars to the chord with a small piece of clear tape otherwise the stars can fall off.
Options: You can paint or add glitter to your stars, or even apply sequins or tiny pom poms if you like. Depending on the length of your string lights, you needn’t cover every bulb, every other one looks great. Try alternating big eight pointed stars with small four pointed ones, or combine stars and flowers. Happy crafting!