Here is the perfect home decor item to bring spring into your home, introducing the crocheted flower applique pillow. Hmm, or maybe it is called the pillow with crocheted flower applique, not quite sure, but in any case this one is a winner and I'm so happy that I've actually managed to complete a project that is going to great use in my home! Oh, and of course there isn't really a greater stash buster than this as you can mix and match as many colors as your little heart desires!
I don't know about you, but I'm a bit wary of crocheted pillows as far as wear and tear, not to mention the time involved, so this idea of crocheting flowers and then using them as applique on a woven pillow cover is just perfect. The pillow won't loose its shape and this can be quick or not so quick, depending on the size of your pillow and how many flowers you decide to crochet. Ah yes, and while you are at it, do take advantage of the fact that this is applique, and be sure to use some flowers with lots of depth, like these, as that really truly makes the pillow special.
I've been wanting to try this idea for years with a simple crocheted doily applique, but somehow this one snuck in at the head of the line, and I'm not arguing! Keep reading for some useful tips, and lets get crocheting!
- woven pillow covers, mine are from Ikea
- fabric glue
- 16 crocheted popcorn stitch flowers
Okay, I think this is fairly self explanatory, but here goes.
- Crochet those flowers, on the go, or here and there, and keep a hook and some yarn in your bag!
- Put a piece of cardboard or paper inside pillow to prevent glue leaking to other side.
- Arrange the flowers in a tight grid on your pillow, with an eye on balance as much as possible
- Spread glue on the rim on the underside of the flower and apply to pillow, pushing down to adhere.
- Let dry for a day or so, and enjoy.
- Put more yarn in your bag, because there will surely be many requests for more of these!
- Think of all the possibilities color wise and pillow wise......and go to town!