Like my chicken recipe, these lanterns, originally available at zgallerie.com, are "Moroccan style, how's that for creative photo selection? If you see something like these, stock up on a few to use as great Succah decorations next year or for instant indoor style anytime!
I have been making this recipe for at least three years, and it's always delicious! I served this with confidence to guests in our Succah today, and my kids loved it too! It's simple and a really great for serving a crowd since there are really very few steps involved.
- 1 whole chicken cut into pieces, or the chicken pieces/quantity of your choice
- chicken soup powder, msg free (and yes I usually turn my nose up at chicken soup powder in recipes, but in this case it's really the secret ingredient.....)
- fresh coriander, (can substitute fresh parsley)olive oil or vegetable oil
- ginger (optional, I didn't use any today......)
- seasoning: our kosher chickens are very salty as is, so no additional salt is necessary. Use your own judgement based on your experience with the chickens you use.
Peel and thickly slice enough potato rounds or half rounds to generously cover the bottom of the baking dish you'll be using...I use a large pyrex dish, but have certainly used very large disposable aluminum trays as well (you can save them for crafting ya know!) when preparing a large quantity.
Make a thick sauce by combining about 1 tablespoon turmeric, 1/2 tablespoon soup powder and enough oil to achieve a maple syrup-like consistency. Add a teaspoon or so of ginger if desired. Add chopped coriander, at least 1/2 cup or so.
Dunk the chicken pieces in the sauce to coat the top of each piece, and place top side up on the bed of potatoes. Bake covered for about 1 hour and bake for another 15 minutes or so uncovered until chicken is nicely browned. Enjoy! I served this dish with a platter of whole-wheat couscous embellished with a mix of boiled zucchini, pumpkin (dlat), carrots and onion, cut in long strips. A refreshing lettuce salad would be a great compliment as well.