Summer is here, and it is time to get crafting, us included! Things have been lacking in the creativity department around here, I'll admit, so it is time to get back to doing the things we love, like basic crafts with recycled materials, drawing, painting and other simple yet so satisfying creative endeavors!
My ten year old, who is one of our resident crafters, was also apparently feeling the lack of creativity and decided to secretly busy himself with making some simple jewelry with silicone rubber bands, you know the rainbow loom type of rubber bands, only you only need two fingers for this one! And we all had to laugh when he showed up at dinner the other night dressed up as a mafia type figure, wearing a track suit, dress shoes, his hair slicked back and the jewelry, too too funny!
So, whether your kids want to make some of this jewelry for play acting or even to wear, its a great little craft as the supplies fit in their pockets, or in your purse. And perfect for car or airplane trips!
How To Make A Rubber Band Fishtail Bracelet, or Necklace:
- Place a rubber band around your two fingers. (My son actually uses three fingers.) Twist rubber band in the center to make a figure 8 around the fingers, such that rubber band crosses in the center.
- Place a second rubber band over your two fingers. Do not twist.
- Place a third rubber band over your two fingers. Again, do not twist.
- From your first finger, lift the bottom band over the other two rubber bands, and over your finger, as if to take it off. Repeat this step on the second finger.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 until desired length.
- When you are finished, add two more rubber bands to the length. Slip the bracelet off your fingers and remove those two bands, this will leave loops for you to thread onto the jump ring.
Now as far as that ring, the make the "diamond" my son just described to me how he added extra rubber bands, but I'll have to get back to you on that one, enjoy!